NATO Chief Says Eastern Enlargement Process Not Provocation Against Russia | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


NATO Chief Says Eastern Enlargement Process Not Provocation Against Russia

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Thursday that the alliance’s enlargement to the east was not a provocation against Russia, dismissing such assessments as the concept of spheres of influence that should be left behind.

The statement was made at the GLOBSEC public event in Slovakia, which hosted talks of the Bucharest Nine group — the countries of NATO's eastern flank — earlier in the day.

"It is up for the 29 allies and an applicant country to decide if and when to join. No one else has a say because often I hear If Ukraine joins, If North Macedonia joins, if Georgia joins, that is a provocation against Russia, it is an aggressive action against Russia … This concept is totally wrong because I strongly believe every nation has the right to decide its own path, and NATO totally respects that regardless whether they work for membership in NATO or they say we are neutral," Stoltenberg said.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA