Covid: Sydney lockdown extended and curfew imposed on 2m people | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED X-Frame-Options: DENY X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN

Covid: Sydney lockdown extended and curfew imposed on 2m people

A lockdown in the Australian city of Sydney has been extended until the end of September to slow the spread of a Covid outbreak.

Authorities also imposed a curfew on two million residents in the city's worst-hit suburbs.

Residents of Sydney have been under stay-at-home orders since late June.

However, infections have more than doubled in the past week with 642 new cases recorded on Friday, and 681 on Thursday.

"I apologise to the vast majority of people in those communities who are doing the right thing but for our health and safety moving forward we need to make these difficult decisions," New South Wales (NSW) Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

She added that the curfew - which will run from 2100 to 0500 - was aimed at "reducing the movement of young people", because police said there had been instances of rule-breaking late at night.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA